Membership in SEM is open to any individual who supports the mission of the society. SEM especially encourages students to join the society. In addition to the regular benefits of membership, at a considerably reduced cost, students have unique opportunities to participate in activities specifically designed for their benefit.
Membership in SEM offers, as a primary benefit, the opportunity to interact with scientists from around the world who are working in the many areas of interest covered by the broad umbrella of Experimental Mechanics. While international in scope, SEM is small enough to provide a forum for easy communication between members. For many members, SEM conferences offer a singular opportunity to discuss their work with other experimentalists in their area of interest. Such interactions are facilitated by the Technical Divisions of the society.
The members of SEM encompass a unique group of experimentalists, development engineers, design engineers, test engineers and technicians, students, and research and development scientists from industry and educational institutions.
SEM Membership Benefits
- Membership in one or more Technical Divisions
- Discounted member pricing for SEM conferences
- Discounted member pricing on all books published by SEM
- 20% Discount on all books published by Wiley-Blackwell
- 25% Discount on all books published by Springer
- 25% Discount on all books in the SEM/Morgan & Claypool Series
Free online access to SEM’s three journals:
- Experimental Techniques - A bimonthly interdisciplinary publication of the Society for Experimental Mechanics focusing on the development, application and tutorial of Experimental Mechanics Techniques.
- Experimental Mechanics - A peer-reviewed journal, published nine times a year, concentrating on advanced research and development. EM is the archival publication of the Society and is recognized as one of the major journals in engineering mechanics.
- Journal of Dynamic Behavior of Materials - A peer-reviewed journal, published four times a year, concentrating on new results on material response and development of techniques, methods, and diagnostics for the study of materials in the dynamic regime.
Special individual pricing for SEM Members for the following journals:
- Journal of Vibration and Control
- Mechanics of Time-Dependent Materials
- Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing
Free electronic access to the current annual issue of the following Springer journals via the SEM Web site:
|International Applied Mechanics||Archive of Applied Mechanics|
|Mechanics of Time-Dependent Materials||Dynamics and Control|
|Applied Composite Materials||Journal of Elasticity|
|International Journal of Fracture||Nonlinear Dynamics|
|Biomechanical and Modeling in Mechanobiology||Advanced Performance Materials|
|Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics||Computational Mechanics–Solids, Fluids|
|Journal of Materials Science||Experiments in Fluids|
|Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation||Acta Mechanica Sinica|
|Mechanics and Materials in Design||Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica|
Special Joint Membership pricing for SEM Members who join ASME or BSSM.
SEM Members enjoy substantial savings on membership dues to these organizations. Membership in BSSM includes a subscription to the journal Strain. For more details about the benefits that each of these organizations offer their members please visit their web sites at: www.asme.org or www.bssm.org.