Dynamics of Civil Structures
The purpose of this Technical Division shall be to provide technical benefits to its members, the civil structures professional community, and related technical disciplines within the Society umbrella by:
- Providing a unique multidisciplinary forum to disseminate and exchange information on new research and technical developments in the testing, identification, and assessment of civil and similar large in-situ structural systems using measured properties and response features.
- Enhancing research, technical developments, and standard practices in civil structures testing through the identification of critical research needs and the validation and dissemination of emerging methods and promising technologies that address the unique features of the civil structures test environment.
- Promoting and/or organizing special sessions, symposia, short courses, workshops, manuals or monographs that respond to identified needs of the TD member community and facilitate transfer of developed technologies and methods to the larger professional community.
- Interacting, assisting and cooperating with other committees, societies, associations or organizations by serving as a focal point on civil structures testing, identification, and assessment.
- Planning and coordinating, in cooperation with others, civil structures activities of the Society.
Activity for 2014
- Discussion of committee mission, purpose and objectives/Membership and recruitment
- Ventura provideed short overview of committee history and encourages involvement in all levels of SEM
- Necati would like to improve student attendance and pre-conference short courses
- Recommendation to offer short courses online prior to conference
- Concern of incorporation of structural health monitoring education in typical curricula or conference. Planned in 2013 to organize a short workshop/panel discussion for
- IMAC 2014 related to practical aspects of SHM and several case studies (not necessarily research-oriented.) Continued interest for IMAC 2015. Identify individuals with existing materials to offer educational session. Need collective effort, share responsibility and workload.
- Summary of IMAC 2014 participation
- 68 organized sessions in the conference – 13 organized by Dynamics of Civil Structures TD (20%)
- ~75 papers presented within these 13 sessions
- Shooting for 30% next year
- Need more volunteers to organize sessions in the future