Dynamics of Civil Structures Technical Division
The purpose of this Technical Division shall be to provide technical benefits to its members, the civil structures professional community, and related technical disciplines within the Society umbrella by:
- Providing a unique multidisciplinary forum to disseminate and exchange information on new research and technical developments in the testing, identification, and assessment of civil and similar large in-situ structural systems using measured properties and response features.
- Enhancing research, technical developments, and standard practices in civil structures testing through the identification of critical research needs and the validation and dissemination of emerging methods and promising technologies that address the unique features of the civil structures test environment.
- Promoting and/or organizing special sessions, symposia, short courses, workshops, manuals or monographs that respond to identified needs of the TD member community and facilitate transfer of developed technologies and methods to the larger professional community.
- Interacting, assisting and cooperating with other committees, societies, associations or organizations by serving as a focal point on civil structures testing, identification, and assessment.
- Planning and coordinating, in cooperation with others, civil structures activities of the Society.
Dynamics of Civil Structures - Updated May 2013
The TD activity for the 2013 IMAC Congress is as follows:
- A review of the 2013 technical program revealed several sessions organized by the TD or subjects
- related to TD. About 85 papers were identified in these sessions focusing on the testing, identification,
- analysis, and assessment of large civil structures. Some of the themes of these sessions are as follows:
- Modal Parameter Identification of Civil Structures
- Vibration Control of Civil Structures
- Human Induced Vibration of Civil Structures
- Cable Dynamics and Control Systems
- Damage Detection Models for Civil Structures
- Experimental Techniques for Civil Structures
- Structural Modeling for Civil Structures
- The TD will continue to focus on strategies for solidifying viewpoints of TD on Dynamic Testing of Civil
- Structures, increasing the membership, collaborative activities of the TD. Several initiatives were
- discussed, including: the organization of round-table/panel discussions, educational aspects (with civil
- structures emphasis), tutorial sessions, involvement with other committees both within IMAC and with
- committees of other organizations related to civil structures, and a simple increase in recruitment
- activities by current members.
- The TD also discussed the possibility of developing a short document or handbook describing the
- application of modal analysis and mature technologies for civil structures targeting end users. It was
- decided that this initiative would be a longer-term goal for the TD. As part of this activity, a tutorial
- session will be organized at the next IMAC.
- TD would also like to recognize exemplary work on the work presented at IMACs in the area of
- Dynamics of Civil Structures. An award committee will be formed and will review the nominations to
- award exemplary presentations/papers.
Minutes of the January 31, 2012 Meeting