Students & Education
Attendees at the 2012 Graduate Student Seminar March 9-10, 2012 at the University of South Carolina.
SEM encourages students to participate in the activities of the
society. The student members of today are the future leaders of the society
tomorrow. Here are some of the ways in which students may participate in the
society as well as some of the areas of support for student activities.
- Society Membership - SEM makes membership in the society very affordable.
- Student Chapters - Student Chapters are a vehicle by which student members can organize activities and events for personal and professional development. SEM contributes some financial support for Student Chapters.
- Student Paper Competition - Organized every year as part of the SEM Annual Conference this competition gives students an opportunity to present their
work and to learn from the experience of presenting their work.
- SEM Education Committee - The Education Committee at SEM actively seeks to involve students in a variety of activities. They are most interested in
hearing from and working with student members to develop meaningful programs
to encourage student participation.
- SEM Education Foundation, SEMEF - SEMEF is an organization within SEM that supplies financial support for student activities. SEMEF supports the Student Paper
Competition as well as regional graduate student symposia and other
- DeMichele Scholarship - Established in honor of the late Dick DeMichele, the scholarship is intended to help carry out Dick's goal of encouraging and
increasing student participation at IMAC. The scholarship is available to
financially assist one student each year to attend IMAC in order to present a
paper at the conference.